- Today’s Weather conditions: Showers and fog very likely in the early morning. Possibility of storms in the afternoon. In any other case, mostly cloudy, with a large around 81.
- Tomorrow’s Weather conditions: A opportunity of showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Partly sunny, with a significant of 85.
- Sunrise: 6:24 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:49 p.m.
Early morning Notes
- APS Acquiring EV Buses — “Arlington Public Educational facilities (APS), operating collaboratively with the County’s Division of Environmental Solutions (DES), will receive a $795,000 grant from the state, to be expended on a few totally electrical buses (EV buses) that will swap 3 with diesel engines. The EV automobiles, just about every with a potential of some 65 passengers, will be equitably assigned to routes in the course of Arlington. At the moment there are no EV buses in the APS fleet of 200. The automobiles slated for alternative each and every journey some 8,000 miles a yr.” [Arlington County, Gov. Ralph Northam]
- No PARK(ing) Working day This Yr — “PARK(ing) Day is an yearly worldwide occasion where the community collaborates to briefly change drab parking areas into small parks… Owing to continuing COVID-19 troubles, Arlington County will not take part in 2021 PARK(ing) Day. We hope to welcome individuals back again in 2022.” [Arlington County, Twitter]
- USS Arlington to Aid in Haiti — “The San Antonio-course amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) departed Naval Station Norfolk to supply humanitarian support and catastrophe reduction to Haiti in support of the U.S. Company for Global Enhancement (USAID) led mission, Aug. 17.” [Navy]
- Arrests in Ashton Heights Armed Theft — ” The Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Device is asserting the arrest of three suspects in an armed theft that occurred through the early morning several hours on Wednesday, August 18… At roughly 1:08 a.m., law enforcement ended up dispatched to the report of a theft that experienced just occurred. Upon arrival, it was established that the two male victims and a witness ended up sitting at a bus halt in the 700 block of N. Randolph Road when the 3 suspects approached.” [ACPD]
- Arlington Org Offers with Afghanistan Fallout — “The youthful gals of Ascend have been applied to paying their times accomplishing yoga, getting ready for mountain climbing excursions and training women of all ages at mosques in Kabul how to read… After the Taliban swept as a result of Afghanistan this 7 days, retaking manage after two decades as the Afghan authorities collapsed, most of Ascend’s members have been sheltering at residence in fear of reprisal. Some have ruined files that would affiliate them with the Arlington, Va.-based nonprofit team, and are pleading for aid from its management to assist them discover refuge in other countries.” [Washington Post]
- Arlington Bishop Talks About Trans Youth — “The subject of transgenderism is talked about routinely in the news, on tv shows and in colleges. This prevailing ideology — that a particular person can modify his or her gender — is impacting Catholic families, also, mentioned Bishop Michael F. Burbidge of Arlington… Burbidge understands a lot of will be criticized and ostracized for their perception that adult males and ladies can not alter their intercourse, but he asks the trustworthy to discuss out in any case. ‘We cannot be silenced. The mandate to speak on this situation obviously and lovingly is higher than at any time,’ he said.” [Catholic News Service]
The subsequent are preview of tales we’re preparing to protect later on currently. Note that some tales may well be pushed again, based on the day’s news.
County Reasonable: The Arlington County Reasonable kicked off Wednesday afternoon full with rides, online games and deliciously-caloric fair food stuff. A lot more pleasurable is in advance this weekend which includes goat yoga classes and the pie eating championship.
Mysterious Bird Sickness: Reports of ill and dying birds look to be decreasing throughout the area. ARLnow checks in with the Animal Welfare League of Arlington as perfectly as state officers about what they’ve observed in excess of the past various months and if it’s protected to at the time once again set out chicken feeders (at this point in our reporting, it sounds like of course).
Afghan Resettlement: A several companies in Arlington are aiding resettle Afghan refugees, whom the U.S. army has been evacuating to the States as the Taliban takes around the place. They share what people below can do to assistance. This isn’t the 1st time Arlington has welcomed refugees fleeing a war: Clarendon employed to be known as Minor Saigon simply because of all of the Vietnamese refugees who settled there right after the war.
Arlington Historical Determine: Rear Admiral Presley Marion Rixey, Surgeon Standard in the U.S. Navy, mate to President Theodore Roosevelt and also his “White Dwelling Medical professional,” owned a significant volume of land in North Arlington. If it was not for him, and his generosity, the Washington Golf and Nation Club would not exist, and Marymount College would not have the statuesque, columned Key Household it offers these days. We investigate the lifetime and the legacy of Rixey in Arlington.